[Note: This post first appeared as an article in the Hamilton County Business Magazine. It offers a good overview of the basics of SEO for those who want to learn more.]
Start by looking at your existing website traffic. If you already have a good analytics program set up, such as Google Analytics, you are a step ahead. Note: If your analytics program does not include at least the last 12 months’ worth of data, or you are not able to view search engine keyword phrases, you might want to check out Google Analytics. Looking at your traffic report, answer these questions:
- From what region are most of your site visitors coming?
- Which external websites are referring visitors to your site?
- Which search engines are generating the most traffic?
- What are the top keywords and phrases visitors use to find your website?
- Are these keywords reflective of your product/service offering and sales goals?